Olive leaf extract mainly contains the polyphenol oleuropein . What did scientists discover about hydroxytyrosol, oleocanthal, oleuropein and other phenols and their 7 amazing benefits for humans?
- Hydroxytyrosol in olive oil increases the production of our mitochondria, the power plants of our cells.
The proper functioning of the cells’ power plants is an indication of the youthfulness of our body and its health. The loss of strength of the mitochondria is associated with disease and the rate of aging. The decline in the functioning of the mitochondria is more and more regarded as the main factor of aging. (Hao et al., 2010)
- Hydroxytyrosol, oleuropein and other polyphenols in olive oil and in olive leaf extract help fight cancer.
- These polyphenols reduce incipient damage in breast and colorectal cancer (Martin-Moreno et al., 1994; Corona et al., 2007; Paula et al., 2007)
- Hydroxytyrosol has been shown to be useful for the treatment of some unwanted bacteria in the gut and respiratory tract, such as Influenzae haemophilus, Samonella and Staphylococccus aureus (Bisignano et al., 1999).
- Reducing diabetic complications from oxidative stress (Palsamy et al., 2009) . Hydroxytyrosol is effective in reducing oxidative stress and slowing or reducing elevated blood sugar levels (Hamden and colleagues (2009).
- Cognitive decline can be slowed down by the consumption of olive oil and its polyphenols. (Solfrizzi et al., 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006; Panza et al., 2004)
The same goes for Alzheimer’s disease. Tau aggregation is slowed down.
- Olive leaf extract significantly reduces the pain and inflammation of arthritis after two months. 3g olive leaf extract per day with 15% polyphenols of which 2% hydroxytyrosol reduces PGE2 (cox2 expression). (Ghanam Jamala, Cresteil Thierryb, Benlemlih M., aBiotechnology Laboratory, Faculty of Science Dhar El Mahraz, PO Box 1796, Atlas-Fez, University Sidi Mohammed Ben Abdellah, Fez, Morocco. 2015 & (Prochazkova et al., 2009 ; Scher et
al., 2007 ; Kamei et al., 2004)
- Oleuropein and hydroxyl tyrosol are potent against the HIV-1 virus.
(Lee-Huang et al. (2003) & Lee-Huang et al., 2007) .